Hola Chicas/Chicos..So, what's the rave about ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)? First, let me say that apple cider vinegar is completely natural. During the fermenting process, this natural goodness retains all of its nutritional values from the apples from which it is made. Now there are many commercial types that have been pasteurized, filtered, refined or distilled to make the product 'look good', however, this extra processing destroys much of the healthy goodness. Sooo, what's the best type? The best type to use are the ones made from 'cold pressed' organically grown whole apples, with no chemicals or preservatives added. The good stuff is not 'clear', but instead has a brown tinge to it. You should also see little chunks of natural goodness floating around in there. Now, let's get into how this tarty twangy goodness benefits our insides as well as our beautiful O'Natural tresses.
Apple Cider Vinegar...The INTERNAL Edition:
- Weight Loss: Suggested that it speeds up the metabolism. Add 2 TBSP of ACV to 8 oz of water and drink before each meal or sip it throughout the day. I try to always take an ACV shot before I do any hard core workout or if I am feeling a bit sluggish throughout the day. It definitely gives me an energy boost and saves me the heartache of having to take energy drinks. My remedy is 8oz of water, add 2 TSP of ACV and 1 TSP of honey (for the taste). I take this 20-30 min before I do my work out.
- Bad Breathe: Because it is acidic in nature, ACV makes a wonderful remedy for bad breath or halitosis. Add 1/2 TBSP of ACV into a cup of water and gargle the mixture for 10 seconds until cup is empty.
- Constipation: ACV is frequently used as a natural cure for constipation. For relief, mix 2 TBSP of ACV to 8 oz of water and drink three times daily. The ACV can also be mixed with natural juices to make it more desirable.
- Diarrhea: ACV is a fantastic natural remedy for diarrhea, due to the high pectin concentration (in raw unfiltered ACV) acts as a protective coating which soothes the irritated lining of the colon. Mix 2 TBSP of ACV to 8 oz of water and drink mixture three times daily while symptoms persist.
- Diabetes: ACV helps to control blood sugar levels which is why it is often used as a natural treatment for diabetes. Mix 2 TBSP of ACV and add a pinch of salt to 8 oz of water. Drink mixture before every meal.
- Yeast Infection: ACV is known to be an effective natural cure for yeast infections. Add 1 1/2 cups of ACV to a bath of lukewarm water, then soak in it for about 20 minutes. Do this once per day for the first 3 days of the infection. After 3 days, the infection should be significantly less. Now create the mixture using 1 1/2 cups of water to 2 TBSP of ACV. Use this mixture as a vaginal douche twice per day for up to 5 days (it is normal to feel a slight sting when you first apply it internally). After a few days, start drinking a glass of water mixed with 1 TSP of ACV once per day.
- Headaches: Mix equal parts of ACV and water in a small pot on the stove, allowing it to boil slowly. When the fumes begin to arise, lean your head over it until the fumes are comfortably strong, inhale for approx. 50 to 80 breaths. This alleviates the headache considerably, if not entirely. My approval on this one, on my headache. I didn't have access to a stove at the time (working) so I heated a cup of water and added ACV to the steaming water and inhaled and Voila..relief.
Apple Cider Vinegar...The SKIN Edition:
- Body Odor: Because it helps to balance the skin's PH levels, ACV is effective in eliminating odor causing bacteria. For armpit odor, simply wipe them once each morning with undiluted ACV using a cotton ball. For foot odor, fill a pan with warm water and add 1/3 cup of ACV, then let your feet soak in the water for 15 minutes once per week.
- Acne: ACV is a wonderful natural cure for fighting acne. I use this tangy goodness in my toner mixture as part of my facial cleansing regimen (see post on Tone up Your Toner). Here is another suggested remedy using ACV to aid in fighting acne. Dilute ACV in water by 1 part of the vinegar and 2 to 3 parts water. Apply the solution directly to your skin with a clean cotton ball and leave it there for about 10 minutes. Rinse. Repeat this three times per day. For severe cases, this solution can be left on overnight without rinsing.
- Age Spots: ACV contains sulfur, which makes it a great natural remedy for fighting age spots. Finely chop or blend an onion and use a strainer or cheese cloth to squeeze and extract the juice (new leggings work as well). Take one part of ACV and one part of the onion juice and mix them together. Dab a cotton pad into the solution and apply it directly on to the age spots. Leave this on the skin for a minimum of 30 minutes. Repeat this once per day for approximately 6 weeks and you should begin to notice gradual improvements. If the spots have not completely disappeared after 6 weeks but they have started to fade, keep repeating the process until they do.
- Cellulite: Many women have found that ACV has helped reduce the appearance of cellulite. Mix 3 parts of ACV to 1 part of your favorite carrier oil. Gently massage this solution onto the affected areas twice daily.
- Eczema: An application of diluted ACV applied to the skin several times per day. Mix 1 TSP to half a cup of water and apply. I can definitely attest to this one, as our middle son had a slight case of eczema when he was a newborn. I applied Bragg's ACV into his bath water or used in his sponge bath and the infected skin would literally peel. I would then lubricate his skin well with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and we don't have the whole body issue with eczema, ever.
Apple Cider Vinegar..The HAIR Edition:
- Clarifying: ACV mixed with Bentonite Clay and Aloe Vera Gel makes an excellent natural clarifying treatment for your hair. ACV is known for removing impurities and product buildup.
- Rinses: Using ACV as a final rinse ensures shiny, soft and silky hair, especially when mixed with cool distilled or filtered water. Dilute 1/4 TSP to 8 oz of water. The use of ACV also helps to rid the scalp of dandruff and bacteria. If you are worried about the smell, it will subside in about 10 minutes. Also, Rose water helps to bring the great smell back to your hair.
Happy Health for your mind, body and spirit
This info is not to be substituted for medical advice. As always, if any situation persists, please seek medical advice.
credits: some info found at www.lacetoleather.com