Thursday, February 24, 2011

Let's Talk Spiritual Health: Alone But Not LONELY

Some women secretly carry guilt that they have misappropriated as daughters, thinking it was their fault that their fathers didn't stay with their mothers. Or they didn't receive enough attention or affection from their fathers/mothers. If you're one of those women, usually, you are always trying to prove yourself. Growing up is hard work. It is even tougher when today's woman is wrestling with yesterday's little girl. Somewhere deep beneath the painted smiles and polished nails is a longing, an aching, a void. Somewhere beneath the symbols of success lurks a feeling of incompleteness.

The emptiness taints yours successes and taunts your accomplishments. You are either distrustful of men as a whole or you idealize a man's attention as the epitome of success and fulfillment. You may be afraid to be alone. You may feel as if you have been alone all of your life, and you fight the feeling by adding people in your life. Sometimes the enemy of loneliness can be so overwhelming that it can cause you to add the wrong people into your life, or go about it in the wrong way of adding people into your life. If you are wise, you would know that having people in your life, in your house, or even in your bed doesn't ensure that you will not be lonely. When we really come to know God, we can be alone and still not be lonely. It is when you understand the gift of being alone that you will really be ready to share your companionship with someone else.
Whenever someone is involved with you, they become a part of what was going on in you before they came around. For some men, that is traumatic because if the woman isn't full of joy and content with who she is, she will soon be unhappy with him around. She will go from madly in love to distant and frustrated because she expected him to be all that she hasn't gotten out of life. At first, she is excited. Later, she is disappointed because she realizes that she is still involved with a wound from her past. It is a void that only God can fill.
Most Christians are seated so high on their perch of self righteousness that they often fail to minister to the pain behind the sin. They often are concerned about the habits of sin. But they don't see to understand that removing the act doesn't free the heart. It just represses a problem that manifests in cynicism and frustration. People are teachable when they are not in pain. It is like telling a child not to scratch a rash. They will do it even if they do it in their sleep because of the discomfort felt. But if you can apply a soothing ointment, the habit is easily broken.

I am sorry that we live in a world filled with pain and rashes, with imperfections and scars. But,in all of my searching, the only thing I have found that will soothe the itching for affection and the bleeding from scars is God. It is not fair, nor is it possible to put that type of pressure and expectation onto another person,then that would be putting your faith in man, and he is not capable. A friend, your child, your parents, your spouse, your companion cannot heal open wounds, past afflictions, unresolved hurt, only God can and He will, just go to Him. He will never leave nor forsake you.
Happy Spiritual Health!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, i'm new to your blog. Great post. I just had a dream this morning about someone that i'd no contact with for almost a year and a half now. I was actually so mad in my dream that i started slamming his vacuum cleaner into things in his house. lol! now i'd never done this when we were together we were good at talking things out, sometimes with drama but without overdramatic drama.
    I've grown up in church, actually being taught how to trust and hold on to the lord, all my life. And you are right, removing the act doesn't free the heart..as I decided to become celibate after breaking things off with him thinking this would help(not only to rid myself of him but to spiritually do the right thing). And unfortunately my heart, not my body, yearns for him even more. I'm not afraid of being alone and I've never been one to hop from guy to guy and i'm very particular being that i have three daughters so maybe thats why my emotions for him are still stuck in the pit of my stomach. IDK, however, i honestly had started to lose my faith and began to question God..as it seemed like the more I hold on to him for my relationships, finances and spirit it seems like all the wrong things keep happening and/or staying unresolved. And I promise I really am a "do gooder" lol. However, Thank you for this post I needed to read this today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous..I am so thankful that you enjoyed the article. I truly empathize as I have been there myself, not realizing what HE had in store for me. I finally had to surrender and say, ok, ok, I can't do this without YOU and when I wasn't looking, I met my husband. During our courtship and from everything that we learned through our premarital class, I felt like wow, I am learning about covenants and relationships the righteous way. Learning how to be a virtuous wife, mother, helper, and he has learned and is still learning the role as husband and head of our family as protector. But, I've been there with the questioning faith and it's like when the answer is revealed I'm left with a smile on my face thinking, 'ok, I get it now...I see so clearly now..what was I thinking?' I have learned and am still learning how to trust my spiritual instincts. I keep people in my circle who are like minded and keep us accountable. Who wishes to see us succeed as man and wife..who have no ulterior motives and wish the best, yet can correct us out of love..When we fall, they help us up, dust us off and keep us focused on our vision. This is what my husband does for me and I for him..and it's a learning process daily. I understand that I don't know everything and my flesh gets tested daily and I learn something new daily...Again, thank you for reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just reading this article, but this has had such a profound impact on me right now. Like I seriously...feel it (if that makes sense). What hit me hardest was this:
    "Most Christians are seated so high on their perch of self righteousness that they often fail to minister to the pain behind the sin. They often are concerned about the habits of sin. But they don't see to understand that removing the act doesn't free the heart. It just represses a problem that manifests in cynicism and frustration. People are teachable when they are not in pain."
    So impactful and so true. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post. Very insightful and so where I see my own daughter at. You are so right about the pain not being ministered to, lots of fluff in today's "religion"---People can't be entertained into healing, nor can they serve their way into it--That is just another cover up that you reference. It takes a larger, spiritual gift that comes from a depth within, often times a place that is deeper than where the pain resides. But when the pain is so deep, and a heart so stubborn only God Himself can open up the hardened heart in order for that person to be receptive to proper ministering and the release from the bondage of our past.

    ReplyDelete