Thursday, February 17, 2011

Let's Talk Hair: Do You HENNA..Gloss That Is??



Greetings Ladies/Gents..sorry for my MIA for the past couple of days. I was battling a tummy virus and was completely out of it.

For those of you not familiar with a henna gloss, it is a great tool when you want 'subtle' color change with a deep conditioning effect. For those of us who have used henna, we know how difficult it can be to wash out. I mean..really time consuming! Well, with a henna gloss, it makes it easier to rinse out due to the slip of adding a conditioner. Another benefit of adding the conditioner is that it makes the hair smooth and soft as opposed to hard and straw like. On those of us with black hair, you will see a slight reddish highlight, but you usually have to be in open sunlight to notice it.

On my first henna experience, I did a straight henna and I thought I was going to swear off henna forever. But...after my second time, I did the henna gloss and, oh my, what a difference. So now that I've spoke about my henna experience, let me tell ya what I use for my henna gloss recipe. Of course, you can modify your mixture to what works for you.

What You'll Need:


At least 100mg of BAQ (Body Art Quality)Jamila Henna ..this type of henna is very good and easier to rinse out. For those with longer hair, 200mg may be sufficient.
A Good protein free conditioner. For my henna gloss, I used Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner or Natty Moist Conditioner



2-3 bags of Green Tea allowed to steep for at least 5-10 minutes.










A pair of plastic gloves..Trust me, this stuff is messy and it does stain, so protect those hands.









My Henna Process:
  • Add the Henna to a plastic bowl.
  • Measure  1 cup of Natty Moist or Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner and set aside.
  • Add 1 cup of the warm green tea to the mixture.
  • Add your  1 cup of conditioners to the mixture.
  • Mix until you have the consistency of cake batter.
  • Apply to slightly damp detangled hair.
  • Be sure to thoroughly work it through hair from root to ends.
  • Cover with a plastic bag or plastic cap and leave on for 3-4 hours. If you want a deeper conditioning effect, you can leave the henna on overnight. This way, you get the full benefits. Just be sure to protect your pillows.
  • Fill up your tub or sink with water and dunk your head to allow the henna to break up and release. Do not manipulate the hair too much when rinsing out the henna.
  • After you have rinsed the henna, shampoo hair.
  • Deep condition, using a heat cap, after you shampoo for at least 45 minutes.
  • Style as usual.


Henna Gloss Benefits:
  • Imparts Shine
  • Prevents Breakage
  • Helps to loosen curl pattern
  • Strengthens hair
    • Aids in ridding scalp of dandruff

My Results:





Where to buy BAQ Jamila Henna: www.mehandi.com , Henna Sooq or your local Indian Grocery Store

Happy Healthy Hair 



















8 comments:

  1. How often can I henna my hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ SpicerK..you can henna as often as you like. Just be sure to deep condition afterwards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, it's 6:32am and I can't wait to rinse, shower and deep condition my hair to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would like to try the henna gloss as well as add color. can you do both at the same time or would it be best to henna gloss. then at a later date try to henna and add color? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should you wash your hair before you henna gloss? With all the product/oils I use in my hair before a wash, I would think the henna would just be lieing on top of that instead of penetrating the hair, but I don't know. So, wash first or no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What effect would henna gloss have on hair which has been highlighted?

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can use henna as hair dye it is cheap and natural hair dye

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, I would like to say that I admire your hair and will be purchasing your Natty Products in the near future. I can not wait to use them and receive the benefits from them.

    Secondly, I am interested in using henna to color my hair and to receive the hair benefits that many naturals refer to. As such, I have purchased a pre-mixed henna cream with vegetable extracts by Surya Brasil. It contains no ammonia, PPD, peroxide, parabens, rescorcinol, heavy metals or GMO's. So, I was wondering, if you heard of the pre-mixed henna cream and if it is just as effective as the powder (body art grade).

    When I apply this cream, I will follow the same methods to keep it in for 3-4 hours (maybe longer), wash and deep condition my hair. I hope my hair responds well to it.
    Especially because I have a few strands of grey.

    Again, I am pleased to have found your blog and cannot wait to begin enjoying your hair care products.

    Grace and Peace in Jesus Name to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete