Hola Chicas/Chicos..I pray all is well with everyone.
So I decided to do a series titled 'Step by Step' pictorials of my healthy hair tips that I hope will also be beneficial to aiding you through your journey with ease.
For a full detail of my Pre Poo Method, please click here: PRE POO
My PRE-POO METHOD..PrePooing is a beneficial step that is done before shampoo cleansing the hair. It allows the hair to retain more conditioner, it helps prevent swelling of the hair and it minimizes the harshness of shampooing and helps rid the hair of shed hairs accumulated throughout the days and weeks. (keep in mind, normal hair will shed between 100-150 hairs per day. You can tell shed hair by the white tip or bulb at the end of the hair)...If you have a prepoo method of your own that is working, please feel free to share. I do this about once per month each time I do a shampoo cleanse.
A NATTY GIRL'S STEP BY STEP PRE POO METHOD
- STEP 1: Place hair into 2 to 4 sections (if long enough) to prep for pre pooing. The sections allow for ease of doing this method and to help prevent the hair from re-tangling. Select a spray bottle with water, your favorite oil and/or conditioner (recently, I've been using both an oil and conditioner.)I apply my hair using my Natty ACV Hair & Scalp Mist. This helps remove old product build up, working as a light clarifier as well as help with detangling.
- STEP 2: Saturate hair with your water or if you have it, your Natty ACV Hair & Scalp Mist (Again this aids in helping to detangle with ease)
- STEP 3: Apply your oil of choice or apply your conditioner. If using conditioner only, skip step 3. Just FYI, oils that are able to penetrate the hair shaft are: olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil...
- STEP 4: Saturate the hair, making sure to thoroughly apply to your ends, with your favorite natural conditioner.
- STEP 5: Detangle with your choice of tool or your fingers. I mostly finger detangle. Be sure when using a tool, began detangling from ends working your way up to your roots now that your hair is slippery with conditioner. This minimizes breakage and allows for easy detangling. Be sure to thorougly work the conditioner through.
- STEP 6: Place hair in twist, buns or plaits so hair does not retangle while pre pooing
- STEP 7: You can opt to use no heat or use a steamer or heat cap to help infuse the oils and/or conditioner into the hair. This is especially helpful for naturals with 'low porosity' hair. The heat helps to lift the cuticle and properly infuse moisture. If you are unsure what your hair's porosity may be, simply place a single hair into a cup of water and watch to see if it floats on top, in the middle or floats to the bottom. If it floats on top, you have low porosity, which is typically genetic. This means that your cuticle is closed very tight making it a bit difficult to penetrate the hair with moisture..but once moisture is infused, it holds moisture very well. This is why the heat, which helps lift the cuticle is beneficial. If the hair floats to the bottom, you have high porosity hair. This type is usually caused by damage such as chemical processes (relaxers, texturizers, colorants), heat and/or environmental pollutants. For high porosity, you can choose to use heat when conditioning or not, just be sure to use butters and oils when locking in moisture to help close the gaps that are in the hair follicle from damage. If the hair floats in the middle, you have normal porosity.
**Just, fyi, I have low porosity hair and it stays hydrated using these methods.
- STEP 8: Shampoo, deep condition, apply a leave in and seal in the moisture. For me, here is what I use:
WHAT THIS NATTY GIRL USES
I SHAMPOO using either Terressentials pure earth wash, Bobeam Natural Hair Products Shampoo Bars, The Bentonite Clay Treatment or Dudu Osum's Black Soap Shampoo.
I DEEP CONDITION: Using my Natty Cupuacu & Rhassoul Deep Conditioner
I APPLY MY LEAVE IN: Using my Natty Moist Conditioner and Moisturizer
I SEAL/LOCK IN MY MOISTURE: Using my Natty Butter
WHERE TO BUY
Natty Products available at www.nattynatural.com
Bobeam Shampoo Bars available at: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BobeamProducts
Terressentials Pure Earth Wash: www.terressentials.com
Dudu Osum Black Soap Shampoo: www.nattynatural.com
Have a Happy Natty Day!!