Monday, March 7, 2011

Let's Talk Ayurvedic Health..Have You Had Your CHAI TEA Today??



Greetings, my lovely naturals..now I'm sure that since your journey to O'Natural many of you have heard the term Ayurveda. Ayurveda is a system of traditional medicine. It's based on centuries of experience in medical practice, handed down through generations. It is regarded as 'The Science of Life' and the practice involves the care of physical, spiritual and mental health of humans. The time honored, well tested ancient formulas of Ayurvedic medicines use natural herbs, minerals and even gems to cure disease and promote immunity minus deadly experiments on testing animals.

Whew..now that that's done..let's look at some of the ways that you can incorporate Ayurveda into your lifestyle to promote healing for your mind, body and spirit.
  • Healthy Hair: I have noticed that my has thrived now that I incorporate an Ayurvedic regimen into my hair care routine. My hair is fuller, stronger and overall healthier.
  • Healthy Body and Mind: I must admit, I am not very versed in yoga, but I have witnessed the power of ease it brings to a person's overall energy. I am in the beginning stages of learning and truly putting into practice the spiritual art of meditation. I have a hard time relaxing and even when I am so called 'resting', I have a lot of noise and constant thoughts in my head. It's definitely much harder than I thought, but excellent exercise for the mind. Massages, using herbal oils or herbal creams are also a part of Ayurvedic healing. It releases toxins and impurities. It's also great for unblocking energy chakras. And we all love a nice massage. There are many other physical remedies that are part of the healthy healing for our bodies using Ayurvedic treatments.
  • Healthy Internal: Ayurvedic health include fresh herbs and spices, herbal teas, and whole, fresh, organic, in season local foods. It includes incorporating all six tastes at every meal: sweet, sour, salty, bitter, pungent and astringent.
So, this brings me to the wonderful, soothing herbal goodness, Chai Tea. I first had the pleasure of tasting this goodness served over ice at a Thai restaurant. It was so yummy. So last year, I visited a local Indian Grocery store and I ran across a box of Chai Tea, and I was super excited.

So, exactly what is Chai Tea?? Chai Tea is a combination of herbs with tea and milk (I use almond milk). Most Chai Tea contains the herbs cardamom, black pepper corns, fennel, ginger, cinnamon, or cloves. All healthy delicious spices. And although the tea contains these spices, they do not overpower the tea and honestly, it is the most delicious tea that I've ever tasted...EVER! So now that I've drooled over how delicious it is, let me fill you in on the wonderful benefits.

Chai Tea and it's benefits:
  • Boosts Immune System
  • Helps to lower blood pressure and cholesterol
  • Helps to ease nausea and diarrhea
  • The clove, which is an antifungal, added to the tea is known to help with colds and flu
  • The cardamom is a digestive aid and is helpful with indigestion. It improves metabolism, helps with impotence, helps with depression and oral disorders.Cardamom also stimulates the mind and promotes clarity.
  • The nutmeg is known to help with mucous membrane
  • The ginger in the tea is known to stregthen and heal the respiratory and digestive system
  • The pepper has both antibacterial and antioxidant properties. It prevents gas and improves digestion.It also improves blood circulation. It induces sweating which cools down the body, therefore reducing fever.
  • And don't fret about the natural caffeine, three cups of Chai Tea is the equivalent to 1 cup of coffee.
Just Brew your water as usual and steep your Chai Tea for at least 5 minutes. Add milk and sweeten (I use honey or Agave Nectar) and enjoy.

Chai Tea can be purchased at any health food store or local Indian Grocery Store.

Happy Ayurvedic Health

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love Chai Tea..Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete