Monday, January 10, 2011

So What's The Rave About: CASTOR OIL

castor_oil_jug

Castor Oil, Castor Oil...I hear so many naturals raving about this oil that's been around since, well, I know I have heard my grandmother mention that she used to give it to my mom and her siblings when they were kids. So what's the rave about it now?
Castor Oil has so many beneficial uses for hair, skin and internal health. It is a pale yellowish vegetable oil extracted from the seeds of the castor plant. It is used pharmaceutically as a laxative and skin softner and industrially as a lubricant.
Benefits:
  • Not only is it a laxative, but it can also benefit those with irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive problems caused by bacterial overgrowth. (do not take internally if pregnant or nursing)
  • It is highly anti fungal, antiviral and antibacterial.
  • Applied topically and massaged in, it is a very effective treatment for rheumatism, arthritis, gout and other painful joint conditions.
  • It is a germicidal, insecticidal, and fungicidal, which makes it helpful in treating skin ulcers and fungi around the fingernails and toenails.
  • Skin problems such as callouses and warts can be treated with castor oil. First, soak the feet in Epsom salt water to help speed up the absorption of castor oil and the results.
  • Excellent for treating skin fungi such as ringworm
  • Easily absorbed in the skin
NOW..Let's talk about the benefits of Castor Oil for the hair and skin:
  • Excellent treatment for hair loss
  • Cleans the scalp of any impurities that would inhibit maximum growth. It also prevents the scalp from drying due to the fatty acids.
  • Castor Oil is a humectant, which means it attracts moisture to the hair.
  • Helps thinning hair grow back thicker.
  • Castor Oil cures acne.
  • Helps keep skin looking youthful and smooth.
  • Castor Oil thickens eyelashes and eyebrows
  • Keeps hair looking shiny and feeling soft.
  • Prevents stretch marks.
My personal results:

I absolutely love castor oil! I incorporate it in my skin care routine as my oil cleanser that I use morning and night. I know,I know, it's hard to believe that using oil actually removes excess oil from the skin and prevents acne. I use it on my children because it is safe and effective. It keeps my skin, my husband's skin and our children's skin soft and healthy. My mother uses it for her feet as she loves how soft it keeps her feet. So the yukky stuff that she was made to take as a laxative as a child has been a super hero in other areas as well. I have not personally taken castor oil as a laxative, but I highly recommend it for skin and hair...trust me, you will not be disappointed. It makes a great carrier oil, which is why I use it after I have applied my leave in conditioner to seal in moisture..makes my hair o' so soft and shiny.
Note: please make sure that you purchase hexane free, unrefined castor oil


where to purchase: Any grocery store or health food store
Happy Health

5 comments:

  1. My Edges are very thin and I have no preexisting medical conditions that would cause the breakage. I make sure I usually have loose styles so that my hair isn't being pulled, Still no real growth. Is there any natural remedies to help me with my edges and temples like a treatment or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Ashlie, there are many natural remedies that have been known to aid in thinning and alopecia. Castor, particularly Jamaican Black Castor Oil, have proven to have great success with thinning. Also, Ayurvedic herbs such as Brahmi, Neem and especially Bhringraj are great for addressing thinning. You can find those herbs at www.hennasooq.com ..I hope this helps

      Delete
  2. Oh really im going to buy first thing in the morning...that a great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. been using the laxative castor for more than 3 months now on my scar, since its kinda hard to find the hexane free in my place. just wanna ask the difference between the two if you're using it to treat a scar.

    ReplyDelete