Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I've Got A Story To Tell: Meet the Beautiful NATASHA GIPSON



Hola Chicas/Chicos..I pray all is well with everyone.

Well today we are hearing a story from a very pretty naturalista, Natasha Gipson. I think her story is awesome and can serve as inspiration for those who are struggling with their journey to keep pushing forward..so, with further ado..let's hear Natasha's story.

MEET NATASHA GIPSON..

1. What inspired you to go natural?
 
I was inspired to go natural when (the second time) when my daughter turned a year old (2009 December) She has these beautiful curls and I loved the way her hair looked when it free!  But looking at her always made me fear the day that she would ask me, "Mommy, why is your hair straight and mine curly, I want straight hair like yours". I wanted to be able to teach her to love her coils by being the ultimate example, loving mine. So almost a year later OCT 2010, I did the BIG CHOP! (my lengthy story on http://ifthesekinkscldtalk.blogspot.com)

2. How long have you been a beautiful natural? 
 
I have been natural for 6 months, 2 weeks, and 5 days (smile)..LOL
 

3. In regards to natural hair, do you feel as though the same stigmas of hair type exist, for example, do you hear people use the term 'good hair' or 'good grade of hair' in regards to certain hair textures?
 
Yes, those stigmas are definitely out there. I wasn't even aware that there was actually a hair type system until I started reading different blogs and websites on natural hair. At first I was a little weary, but I do think that hair typing can be a helpful tool when trying to find what works for your hair. However, in my opinion, natural hair possesses very unique traits in EVERY individual, so it is still kind of difficult to "generalize" the different types.

4. Do you feel as though most black men are supportive to natural hair? How about other nationalities?
 
I feel that most AFRICAN AMERICAN men are not necessarily "attracted" to black women with natural hair and its a shame, but to each HIS own. I think some of them have truly allowed themselves to be conditioned to view beautiful hair as straight, wavy, long...etc.  I think that other nationalities accept it more because they already expect to see black women with curly, kinky, hair or wavy hair, or whatever.  I think that Blacks in general have a tendency to react different when we see other nationalities with styles that are designed for our hair types as well (i.e. white people with locks or cornrolls)

5. How do you maintain such beautiful coils?
 
I initially did not know that moisturizing your hair daily was a must when you are a natural, so I was looking a HOT MESS! After a few trial and error episodes with various products, I've found my nitch with Carol's Daughter "Healthy Hair Butter", Coconut Oil,  Kemi Oil and any sulfate free, sweet smelling shampoo/conditioner i can get my hands on. Right now I am a fan of Brazilian Keratin brand.  I twist my hair with the butter every night now, sleep with a silk scarf, untwist it in the morning, and style.  I hope to discover more products that have less "fluff" in the ingredients and just good wholesome nutrients for my hair. I am in the military, so moisturizing my hair daily is a must because I wear at a wool cap every day! As my hair gets longer it has become a bigger challenge to stay within the strict standards that the military places on females in the military, but I'm maintaining professionalism right now by wearing a puff! My hair is finally long enough to do a puff!

6. Do you have any words of wisdom to pass on to others striving for a natural lifestyle?
 
Yes, I would definitely tell others striving for a natural lifestyle to listen to their heart and go for it!  I think that youtube, and other websites like yours and CurlyNikki's are a huge help for sisters who need to know more before they do the  BIG CHOP! Its worth it, and as for me, I am never looking back!  I would also say that the term "garbage in, garbage out" is so true. The better foods you eat, the more nutrients you put in your body, the better you feel and look, that is a fact!  Being natural can be challenging at time, it takes work, lots of patience, research and support, but its soo soo worth it!
 
 
THE PRETTY GIRL, NATASHA
Well, I hope you all enjoyed Natasha's story as much as I did and please stop by her page listed above and see her full story on her journey..Thank you so much, Natasha!

If you have a story to tell, please send an email request to allthingsonatural@yahoo.com and use the header "I've Got A Story'

Happy Healthy Day

4 comments:

  1. Great post. Natasha is beautiful and has such beautiful coils. such a beautiful example she is setting for her daughter. Thanks for sharing your natural hair journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, Natasha and keep inspiring our young Naturals..thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha it's beautiful! Great interview please keep working on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete