Hola Chicas/Chicos..I pray all is well with everyone..So, let's get right down to the nitty gritty!!! This is about shedding some light on natural products and products that appear to be 'O'Natural. I have been doing some research on ingredients to find out the real truth about them so that I can furthur know what I am putting on my hair, on my skin which in turn can travel throughout my body. Hmmm, so why is this necessarily important..well, glad you asked, since the CDC is out of control with new cases of cancer and health related issues, many of the chemicals that are found in beauty products are not necessarily regulated so they are not monitored as closely as other things, such as food and medicine. And facts have shown that many of the harsh chemicals found in shampoos, conditioners, stylers and skin care products have been linked to asthma, cancer, eczema, psoriasis, dandruff and so on.
Fortunately, there is a very simple way to differentiate between the hype and the truth in skin care and that is to read the ingredient list on the label. It's a legal requirement that all skin care products, natural or otherwise, must be labelled with the ingredients in descending order of their quantity in the product. A good rule of thumb is to divide the ingredient list into thirds: the top third usually contains 90-95% of the product, the middle third usually contains 5-8% and the bottom third, 1-3%.
So, because I find it extremely important, I felt it extremely important to equip each one of you with the same knowledge..so here goes!!
The SO-CALLED NATURAL List...
|Natural or Organic ingredients include|
|2||Isopropyl Palmitate (Palm Oil Derivative) derived from Isopropyl Alcohol which is a synthetic drying alcohol.|
|3||Apricot Kernel Oil (Take not that this is 3rd on the list, which means that this particular product is mostly water and Isopropyl Palmitate)|
|4||Bis-Digyceryl Caprylate/Caprate/Isosterate/Stearate/ Hydroxysterate Adipate (vegetable Triglyceride)|
|5||Glyceryl Stearate SE (vegetable derived)|
|6||Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (glycerin-derived emollient)|
|7||Ceteareth - 12 (Organic Emulsifier)|
|8||Tocopherol Oil (vitamin E)|
|11||Linden Extract (Lime Blossom Extract)|
|12||Balm Mint Extract|
|13||Shea Butter (From Karite)|
|14||Wheat Germ Oil|
|16||Cetyl Alcohol (organic Co-emulsifier)|
|17||Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster)|
|18||Sorbic Acid (Organic Compound)|
|19||Tocopherol Acetate (vitamin E Derivative)|
|22||Imidazolidinyl Urea (Organic Compound)|
|24||FD & C Yellow No 5, D7C Red No. 33.|
|Content: Apricot oil (2.5%)|
Important Info About the List Above:
- #5 & 6 are largely synthetic..synthetic glycerin to be exact. These ingredients have been known to cause dermatitis and cause allergies.
- #7 is a synthetic emulsifier. Both are known carcinogens.
- #8-15 are actual natural ingredients. However, they are so far down on the list that the quantities are extremely minimal. And many times, this is to make the product look good.
- #17 Is otherwise known as caustic soda or lye - a powerful drain cleaner extremely alkaline and corrosive. A known sensitizer for many people with sensitive skin.
- #18 Sorbic acid was once isolated from the Mountain Ash berry, but is now chemically synthesised and is a toxic preservative. No longer natural!
- #19 is synthetic Vitamin E
- #20-22 are toxic and allergenic preservatives which have been linked to increasing oestrogen levels in women and is implicated in the rising incidence of breast cancer.
- #23 Probably synthetic, may contain phthalates that have been linked to birth defects. Phthalates are toxic gender bending chemicals found in virtually everyone tested for them. It is certainly not natural to have phthalates in your body or on your skin I can assure you. I know some of you love love love those smell good poos and conditioners..but try to look for ingredients that include essential oils for fragrance
- #24 Synthetic colours that could be potentially carcinogenic. So those pink and blue poos and conditioners, moisturizers and stylers.
The TRUE NATURAL List..
|CERTIFIED ORGANIC NATURAL BODY INTENSIVE|
|1||Organic Aloe Vera|
|2||Organic Safflower oil|
|4||Organic Avocado oil|
|5||Organic Cocoa butter|
|7||Organic Sugar-Cane Ethanol|
|8||Organic Unrefined Beeswax|
|10||D-Panthenol (pro-vit b5)|
Important Info About the Natural List Above..
- Is certified organic aloe vera = natural
- Is cold-pressed from organic safflower seeds = natural
- Purified Water = natural
- Is cold-pressed from natural organic avocado fruit = natural
- Is from organic cocoa beans = natural
- Is from non-genetically modified soybean oil.= natural
- Is from organic sugar = natural
- Is from organic beehives = natural
- Is cold pressed from the skin of organic limes = natural
- Is a precursor to vitamin B5 = natural
- Is from natural olive leaves = natural
- Is from grapefruit seeds = natural
- Is a vegetable gum = natural
- Is cold-pressed from organic orange peel = natural
- Is from organic vanilla beans = natural
These are some great resources that offer great all natural products, especially the shampoo bars..They are excellent!!! And definitely begin giving some love to those who make their own homemade products (check out my post on the questions to ask before purchasing). And it looks as though I am going to be making a couple of changes to some things, myself.. Well, I will be trying out some of the items from the sites listed above and give you guys a great unbiased product review.
Have A Happy Healthy Day!
credits: some info found at www.naturalskin.com