Thursday, October 4, 2012

MAINTAINING HEALTHY HAIR WHILE IN PROTECTIVE STYLES



Hola Chica/Chicos..I pray all is well with everyone! So, as we are preparing for the wonderful arrival of our 4th little one, I have been rocking mini twists that I put in about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I must say, it has been a nice break to 'give my hair a break'..however, I do still make sure to keep my scalp clean and hair moisturized to prevent breakage when I take my twists down. If you are thinking of doing mini twists, here is an awesome video to reference that I absolutely love when applying my mini twists: Naptural85 Mini Twists . Now, before applying my mini twists, I do prep my hair...Let's just get into the thick of it on what I do to prep my hair and how to maintain healthy hair while your hair is in mini twists, braids, you are rocking weaves or wigs.


MY PREP FOR MINI TWISTING:

  • CLEANSE: I always do a thorough clarifying cleanse a week before applying my mini twists. I use either Terressentials Pure Earth Wash , Dudu Osum's Black Soap Shampoo, or I just apply a homemade bentonite clay treatment to cleanse. All of these work o'mazingly to cleanse my hair. 
  • CONDITION: Our hair loves loves loves moisture, so it is to the utmost importance to ensure that before any protective styling, I thoroughly condition my hair. Since I did clarify, I am sure to follow up with a deep conditioner. Of course, my deep condish of choice is our  Natty Cupuacu and Rhassoul Deep Conditioner . It works wonderfully for replacing the moisture that the cleansing has a tendency to remove. 
  • MOISTURIZE: I moisturize my hair using our Natty Moist conditioner , then seal/lock in that moisture using our Natty Butter . I do this as a prep, so below, I will mention how I apply my mini twists and get into how to maintain your hair while protected..stay tuned

HOW I INSTALL MY MINI TWISTS:
  1. SECTION: Since my hair is nicely prepped with cleansing, conditioning, moisturizing and sealing, this is just the how to of how I install my mini twists. On clean, conditioned, detangled, moisturized hair, I place my hair into 4 large sections. This just makes it easier for me to apply mini twists and helps to reduce re detangling.
  2. SECTION AGAIN: I section my larger sections into smaller sections, using my fingers to part my smaller section into about 1/8 to 1/2. This is the size I usually rock my mini twists in. Takes a while, but the results are awesome.
  3. MOISTURIZE, GEL AND SEAL: Once I have parted my hair, I apply our Natty ACV Hair and Scalp Mist to dampen, then apply my homemade flaxseed gel (for how to video, CLICK HERE), then lock in that moisture with our Natty Butter. Moisturizing is great because our hair loves moisture, the gel helps to minimize frizz and further moisturize the hair..and because the mist and gel are water based, I lock in that moisture with the Natty Butter.
  4. TWIST...Again, it's a great idea to follow the video posted above on how to properly install mini twists. Using Naptural85's method makes taking my mini twists down such a breeze, with no breakage.
  5. UPDATE..UPDATE..UPDATE..Pump the brakes!! My newest method is using my Natty Creme to install my mini twists and THAT'S IT!! Before, I would use my ACV Mist, Flaxseed gel and Natty Butter (3 products), now I only use 1..yay, winning!

MAINTAINING YOUR HAIR WHILE PROTECTED
  • Ok, so let's get into the thick of how to maintain those beautiful tresses while they are in protective styles such as twists, braids, weaves or wigs.
STEP 1: CLEANSE: It is of the utmost importance to keep your actual scalp clean while rocking your protective style. Here are a couple of ways you can ensure a clean healthy scalp while rocking your style:
  • CLEANSING METHOD 1: Take a spray water bottle (BPA Free of course) or a water bottle with an applicator tip and dilute your favorite natural shampoo (any natural shampoo can work, it doesn't have to be a clarifying shampoo) with distilled or filtered water, shake and spray or apply the mixture onto your scalp. Applicator bottles work great for those rocking weaves or wigs because they are able to reach your actualy hair much easier. Standing under your shower head, allow the running water to rinse downward, parting your hair along the way. 
  • CLEANSING METHOD 2 (method for mini twists or braids): Take a pair of pantyhose, cut the legs but leave enough to of the legs to be able to tie. Place the pantyhose atop of your head, crown only and tie the legs..should look like you have a cap with a tip..Take your favorite natural shampoo and apply on top of the panty hose, dulute the poo if needed so it is thin enough to run through the panty hose. With the panty hose still on your hair, take the balls of your fingers and massage the poo into your hair. Rinse thoroughly. Leave the stocking cap onto your head while allowing to dry a little, then follow my method of how to keep your hair stretched and moisturized after cleansing: FOR VIDEO, CLICK HERE . 
  • CLEANSING METHOD 3: Take some lemon juice, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) or witch hazel, a cotton ball and essential oils of tea tree, rosemary or peppermint (optional). Combine your natural pantry cleanser of choice (either the lemon juice, ACV or witch hazel) with a few drops of the essential oil of your choice. Dip your cotton ball into your mixture and focusing on your scalp, part your hair and apply (this method is known as a dry cleanse). The essential oils are helpful for those who may have the itchies. 
  • CLEANSING METHOD 4: ACV Rinse. Take a spray bottle or applicator bottle and dilute 1 TSP per 8 oz of distilled/filtered water and apply to hair and scalp. Leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse. Or if you the Natty ACV Hair and Scalp Mist, spray desired amount onto hair and scalp. The product can be left in (which is what I now do) or you can optionally rinse out.
STEP 2: CONDITION AND MOISTURIZE: Here are two simple methods that you can use to condition and moisturize your hair.
  • CONDITION METHOD 1:You can dilute some of your favorite natural conditioner with water and using a spray bottle, spray the mixture onto your hair. Spray bottles have the capability of getting into cracks and crevices and since the mixture is diluted, you lessen the risk of the conditioner being stuck in between your twists, braids or other protective styling. Enjoy for 10-20 minutes (depending on the ingredient). Rinse thorougly by standing under the shower head and gently parting the hair to ensure that all of the conditioner is removed. 
  • CONDITION METHOD 2 (for braids or mini twists) : Apply a generous amount of extra virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil and apply to twists or braids, place a plastic cap over your head, leave in overnight (due to the size of the molecules and the amount of time it takes for the oils to actually penetrate the hair). Rinse. Using this method, it's ok if you do not completely rinse all of the oils from the hair, it's actually quite moisturizing. 
  • RE MOISTURIZING and SEALING: (for those with mini twists, braids or wigs): If hair is damp from cleansing or conditioning, apply a butter or oil of your choice to lock in the moisture. If remoisturizing throughout the week, just dampen hair with a mist of your choice (water can work just fine), then lock in the moisture with your Natty Butter, butter or oil of your choice.  
  • RE MOISTURIZING and SEALING: (For those with weaves) after cleansing or conditioning and while the hair is still slightly damp, take a light oil such as grapeseed, jojoba, olive or coconut and apply to a cotton ball or cutip. Take the oiled cotton ball or cutip and apply to your actual hair underneath the wig to lock in the moisture. Allow the hair to dry thoroughly to prevent moisture mildew. If remoisturizing throughout the week, you can apply your Natty ACV Hair and Scalp Mist or just take a spray bottle of water or your favorite moisturizing mist  and lightly mist your actual hair. Follow up with your favorite butter or oil to lock in the moisture.
STEP 3 PROTECT: Be sure to protect your hair at night with a silk or satin scarf, bonnet or sleep on a silk or satin pillow. This helps keep the hair moisturized and protected from breakage.

STEP 4 BREAK..BREAK..BREAK..BREAK..No matter the protective style, allow your hair a break. Remove any protective style after 4-8 weeks and give your hair and scalp a thorough cleansing, conditioning, moisturizing and sealing. This is very important as many naturals experience breakage.


ENJOY YOUR PROTECTIVE STYLE...I KNOW I DO!!









6 comments:

  1. I really like your earrings and other accessories.where do you buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks interesting. I am very found of skin care products .scalp moisturizerthis.Thankyou for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello! Great blog post I like that you provided different methods for maintaining your protective style.. I also wrote a similar post on my blog at thtfword.com and I would like your feedback if you would be so kind. Thank you, and keep on bloggin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it"s obvious some patients with Herpes Virus are being enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2015 until I was introduced by a blogger who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of HPV after using Dr ALUDA Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from Herpes VIRUS. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. I have promised to keep telling good things about Dr ALUDA. Please feel free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on whatsapp +2348145636867 or mail him Draludaharbalhome @gmail. com He deals with Alzheimer virus, Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Genital, warts, ALS, HBV, UTI, Virginal infection, Genital, Wart, HPV, Hepatitis A/B, Good luck, HSV, Cold Sores, Diabetes 1 & 2, Pregnancy, Ex back.

    ReplyDelete