Hola Chicas/Chicos..I pray all is well with everyone!
So, as you may know, we are enjoying our newest bundle of joy and fully diving into our 4th go round of parent-hood.
Ok, so let's chat about the O'Mazing benefits of onions. Hands down, I absolutely love the flavor of them and the added benefits are a delicious bonus.
ONION BENEFITS FOR OUR INSIDES
- CANCER: Onion extract is rich in a variety of sulfides, which provide some protection against tumor growth. Some studies have showed, regular consumption of onions helps to reduce the risk of several cancers such as colorectal cancer, oral cancer, laryngeal cancer, stomach cancer, esophageal cancer, and ovarian cancer. It is suggested to consume one onion serving per day (approximately 1/2 cup).
- HEART HEALTH: The regular consumption of onion has been shown to lower high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels. This is attributed to the sulfur compounds, chromium, and vitamin B6 in onions, which helps prevent heart disease by lowering high homocysteine levels, another potential risk factor for heart attack and stroke
- BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS: The regular consumption of onions also have been shown to lower the blood sugar levels. A study found that, onions contain allyl propyl disulfide that helps to reduce the glucose levels by increasing the amount of insulin.
- ALLERGIES: The onions such as red onions are rich in Quercetin, an antioxidant which is known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-allergy properties. Flavonoid contained in them blocks the allergy creating histamine and other substances. According to a recent study, eye symptoms associated with hay fever are greatly reduced by quercetin. Suggested dosage is 200-400 mg thrice a day.
- DIGESTION FUNCTION: Onions are a good source of dietary fiber and prebiotics that encourage the growth of good bacteria (probiotics) in the digestive system, thereby improving digestive function.
- URINARY DISORDERS: Onion has diuretic properties, which are useful in treating urinary disorders. For those suffering from burning sensation during urination, drink water boiled with 6 to 7 gm of onion, this may relieve the symptoms.
- BONE HEALTH: A study published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry revealed that onions also possess the ability of building connective tissue and bone health due to a newly identified substance in it called growth plate chondrocytes (GPCs). Hence onions are very beneficial for women who are at a risk for osteoporosis. There is also evidence to suggest that the risk of hip fracture in menopausal women may be lowered through regular consumption of onions.
HOMEOPATHIC USES FOR ONION
Our homeopathic home pharmacy
- COUGH: Our body's way of expelling irritants. Now, there are a couple of ways to incorporate homeopathic remedies using onion. You can visit your local herb shop and purchase homeopathic nosodes of allium cepa and administer as directed, or, create a DIY mixture of onion and honey, following these steps: STEP 1: Dice 1 large onion and place in a large bowl STEP 2: Use a large wooden spoon to macerate the onion, allowing the juices to flow, or you can use a food processor. STEP 3: Mix equal parts of onion and honey and add to mason jar and allow the mixture to sit for at least 4 hours for the combination to fully combine. STEP 4: Once the mixture is fully combined, take 1 Tsp of the mixture twice daily to help alleviate coughing. ** Side note: When taking allium cepa in nosode form, try not to administer using your hands, but take directly from the cap. Handling nosodes using our hands could potentially lessen the potency of the medicine. Try not to eat or drink half an hour before or after taking the meds. Do not smoke, chew tobacco or drink while taking homeopathic meds. As always, first consult your homeopathic physician before taking any medicine.
- SNEEZING: Allium Cepa (onion) is good for a child who experiences bouts of sneezing with a burning sensation in the nose that affects the upper lip., and whose symptoms improve in the outdoors or if he/she splashes cold water on the face. ** Again, before administering any homeopathic remedy, consult your physician prior. When I administer these to my kids, they think they are tiny candies and have no issues taking them...Oh, and we love the results as well!
ONION BENEFITS FOR OUR...HAIR?
- STIMULATES HAIR GROWTH: Onion is rich in sulfur which is one of the essential nutrients in promoting hair growth. A study has shown that applying onion juice on scalp twice a week for 2 months will stimulates hair regrowth. There are a plethora of onion and alopecia videos available via youtube, and one I found in particular that incorporates onion, Apple Cider Vinegar, and my favorite, homeopathic herbs by HowConnie . If you are struggling with alopecia, thinning or any type of hair loss, be sure to check out Connie's video for a DIY treatment.
** Sources: 'Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child 2nd Edition'