Hola Chicas/Chicos..I pray all is well with everyone.
Well, it is time that this wonderful subject has hit the big screen and we shed some spotlight on it.. Humectants and Anti Humectants and which is better for our beautiful kinks, coils and waves. Well, they are both actually good for our hair, but....in the right setting.
I am beginning to see so many naturals ponder the question of which products to use in this O'So Warm/Hot weather..whether they are battling fizziness or dryness or BOTH. And they all want to know WHY???
Well, as a naturalista who hates frizz myself, I decided to investigate this issue and share some of the issues that I have learned..hope this helps
HUMECTANTS..What are they?
- Substance that absorb or help retain moisture.
- Often used in food and cosmetic products
NATURAL HUMECTANTS..What ingredients qualify??
- Glycerin, including Vegetable Glycerin
- Panthenol (pro Vitamin B5)
SYNTHETIC HUMECTANTS..What ingredients qualify??
- Propylene Glycol -causes irritation and contact dermatitis
- Ethylene/Diethylene Glycol – causes irritation and contact dermatitis
- PEG compounds (eg Polyethylene Glycol) –may contain the toxic by-product dioxane
NATURAL ANTI-HUMECTANTS..What ingredients qualify??
- Shea Butter (raw/unrefined)
- Organic Beeswax
- Hydrogenated Castor Oil
- Mango Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Palm Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
SYNTHETIC ANTI-HUMECTANTS..What ingredients qualify
- silicones (if you choose products with these ingredients, try to go for the water soluble silicones, such as: Dimethicone Copolyl, PEG Modified Dimethicone
SO WHAT'S REALLY THE DEAL WITH THE TWO:
- HUMECTANTS: while these can be great, as stated above, for locking in moisture, in certain temperatures and dew factors, humectants will either steal the moisture from your hair, thereby suffocating the hair and causing dryness and breakage (dry weather), or steal the moisture from the atmosphere and cause the hair to swell and create frizz (humid weather)..It is best to use products based with humectants in temperatures with a dew point of 30-50F.
- ANTI HUMECTANTS: these puppies are great for use in temperatures with a dew point of 60F
- If you're struggling with the frizzies or dry hair, check your ingredients and do proper product sweeps
I hope this helps..Have A Happy Frizz Free Day!